Founded by Representatives Jared Huffman (D-CA), Jamie Raskin (D-MD), Jerry McNerney (D-CA) and Dan Kildee (D-MI) the mission of the Congressional Freethought Caucus is to:
- promote public policy formed on the basis of reason, science, and moral values;
- protect the secular character of our government by adhering to the strict Constitutional principle of the separation of church and state;
- oppose discrimination against atheists, agnostics, humanists, seekers, and nonreligious persons;
- champion the value of freedom of thought and conscience worldwide;
- provide a forum for members of Congress to discuss their moral frameworks, ethical values, and personal religious journeys.
The AHA and the CFE were honored to be participants in—and in one case the host of—the organizational meetings held to create and define the objectives for this caucus. The very existence of this Congressional caucus for freethinkers and humanists is a marker of how far the movement for secular and nontheist equality has come. This significant step is also a new beginning for our country as both religious and non-religious leaders work to better the nation.